Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, December 03, 2011

So grateful

Hotel rooms are small, people. Especially when you're trying to sleep in one with a toddler. A toddler who decides she will not sleep after 2am. It was one of the longest nights ever as Aspen and I tossed and turned in my bed in the hotel.

So on zero sleep yesterday morning, we got the great news that the power company didn't even have an estimate for when power would be restored to our home. With that, we decided to book our room for a second night so we'd have somewhere warm to sleep. And I was wondering how on earth I was going to entertain/nap/feed Aspen for the rest of the day without the comfort of our Pink House.

By 11:30, I had a sub lined up for my Saturday morning class, so we decided to check out of the hotel and stay the weekend at Seth's. That meant returning to our 45 degree house for Aspen's nap and for packing up. I bundled that little burrito like there was no tomorrow and prayed she wouldn't freeze to death in her sleep.

When she woke up, Gail, Aspen and I tried to run a few errands to get warm. The house had been so cold we could barely feel our fingers and toes. Thankfully, lunch at Chik-fil-a and a trip to Babies R Us got the blood flowing so we could head to the Treehouse Museum for some entertainment. I'm so glad I bought a membership there!! Although, I kind of felt like a homeless person bumming heat off of Treehouse.

They close at 5 on Fridays, so we regretfully had to leave. Just as it was getting dark. I really didn't want to return to the house and freeze some more, but we had little choice. We needed to find somewhere to eat, or to bring food home. We had to finish packing up and wait for Kev to get home from work so we could head to Seth's. My biggest fear was that while we were gone, the 20 degree weather would burst our pipes. I really didn't want to deal with that nightmare upon returning home.

As we turned onto our street yesterday evening, we noticed lights on in neighboring houses. Houses we weren't sure had power earlier in the day. We kept our fingers crossed that as we approached the Pink house, we'd see the porch light illuminated (Kev had left it on as a "beacon" so if we drove by the house during the day, we'd know at a glance whether or not the power was back).

When Gail and I saw that light glowing brightly, we shouted for joy. And Aspen followed suit, screaming her head off with us. I immediately called Emilie (who was on her way back up from SLC) and told her to come home with a lighter heart, because our neighborhood had power. I even went to her house and turned her heat on for her so she and Yao would have some warmth to greet them.

Being without power and without a home base for two days was pretty wretched. I was so grateful for the return of normalcy I almost cried. I was glad we didn't have to barge in on Seth for additional days. I was glad we could stop eating out. I was especially glad I didn't have to lose another night of sleep in a hotel room with a squirmy, screaming toddler.

I'm just so relieved that the last two days are over. I'm relieved that even though most of our shingles blew away, our roof didn't leak when it snowed last night. I'm relieved we could heat up our house and avoid plumbing issues. I'm relieved that when I flick a light switch, it now works.

It'd be one thing if we were accustomed to living without electricity. But since we're not, there was nothing easy for me about the last two days.


  1. Its been a crazy last few days for lots of people. Every time I hear new stories from them it makes me even more grateful. I still have friends without power.

  2. All I wanted to be was home Thursday night, but there was no way I was going to freeze my little tooshy off in our house. Coming home after Yoga and finding the power back was such a relief. I'm so glad yours came back on too. Matt said there is a warning that another windstorm is coming. It better not or I am going to go insane!


Thanks for stopping by!